Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Dilema between C hash (#) and C Sharp

This is not about making fun of the so called Job Consultants. Though consultant is a very sophisticated word for them. It can't be generalized, there are some real Job consultants who can really help you,but,  then there are also these random callers who find your resume from odd job sites and call you. I was in Mumbai at that time and was in the experience bracket of 5-6 years when we all are overwhelmed with such callers because that is the experience range which is too much in demand. Even today that seems to be the case, however, the range might have been extended a bit from 5-6 years to about 3-5 years because this was about 13-14 years ago. We all are in a mad race at that time to test ourselves every other day to find how big an offer or package as they say in India, can we get. Every other person takes the call of any such random caller for the sake of getting to know whats on offer. Whether the job would really suit the skill set if none of our business. That's the business of the random caller who would find out whether you really have the skill set the company is really looking for.

One such random caller called me one day and started the basic discussion. She asked me about my experience and I told her that I have this many years of experience in .Net and C Sharp. After hearing, she was kind of disappointed and told me that, but, I was looking for someone having experience in C Hash (#). It seems all my experience was in C sharp and that was not something that she was looking for. I was taken aback by her response. To all those who are new to C Sharp or C hash(#), it is actually the same thing.  I told her that C sharp and C# are same thing and they are actually two names of the same Microsoft Language. She said I don't know all that; your resume posted on the site is mentioning that you have experience in C# and all you are saying is about C Sharp. I realized that she has been asked to find a matching skill set and all she was looking for was the keyword C hash(#). I rephrased my introduction again by replacing C sharp with the keyword she was looking for, the magic word hash(#). She said are you sure that you really have the experience in C hash. I confirmed the same in affirmative. Somehow, she was not very much convinced and even though she promised to get back, I never heard from her again.

I later realized that she belonged to a category of Job consultants, who were pretty new to their work and was sincere on her task to find a matching skill set of keywords that she was asked to. When I narrated this incident to my other friends, we all had a great laugh about it. From then on, I made sure I would talk about my experience mentioning the exact keyword that the Job consultant calling me was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment