Sunday, September 2, 2018

Locals Vs Outsiders

The other day we were having some conversation over drinks. And Yes, you guessed it right, when there is conversation on some topic over drinks, it is bound to become passionate. The topic was about that if you are an outsider, you ought to give more chances to the locales irrespective of their service. I was kind of taken aback by it. I am proud product of Kendriya Vidyalaya and we in K.V. are always taught that we are Indian first and we have to treat all fellow Indians equally, irrespective of their cast creed or locality. Me being one the so-called outsider was dissapointed at the thought that how can any educated man have a biased thinking. If people from outside come to Pune, off course Pune gave them opportunity, but the people from outside also give something back. It is not one-sided it is always mutual.

My friend's argument was when you made the decision to come to Pune, was it for yourself or was it for giving something to back to Pune. I agreed that it was solely for me that I made the decision irrespective of thinking about how the people in Pune will treat me. He said when Pune gives you some opportunity to earn a living, you ought to pay back to Pune, by providing them the opportunity to earn from you. And you should always be biased to give more opportunities to people who are local and belong to Pune. I could not understand that. For me being an Indian always comes first rather than being a local or Marathi. I told him that when I have to choose the vendor for any of my requirements, I could never choose based on cast, creed, locality or language. All humans for me are same, and selection will be purely based on the quality of the service and money I would be spending for the service. It has to be value for money for me to make a choice of any vendor. For a person like me, I could never say I belong to a particular locality. I was born in Madhya Pradesh, brought up in Gujarat and spent my professional life first in Gujarat and then in Maharashtra. So, when someone asks me where do I belong from, I always reply, I am from India. And I am proud to be an Indian.

My point is how can we be biased and not give someone who is deserving an opportunity just because he is an outsider. The argument was about the Marwari community and other business vendors who would eat up all earning opportunities for the locals. To a certain extent I agree that it is a case, those people who come from outside may be giving opportunity to only their people and then even though they are earning from Pune, they are not hiring people from Pune for their shops and jobs they create. It could be true, but I bet that if someone is capable enough it won’t take long, before someone would give them an opportunity purely based on their talent and hard work. After all we the so-called outsiders were chosen for working in our company only because the interviewer found the right kind of skills that he was looking for. Being an educated person how can I be biased. That just does not sound right.

To me it is just like reservation. Reservation in education and govt jobs gives opportunities based on caste to those who quite often do not deserve it. If we all feel that reservation is unfair to the people deserving it, then how can we be the one who follows the same principle. Professionals who come from outside of Pune do pay taxes which goes to the central govt. But, ultimately the state budget is allocated from the central govt to the state and tax paying people do play a part in helping build the nation overall. I concluded with the argument that we all are Indians and being an Indian we can't discriminate between fellow Indians. If everywhere in India we will have people thinking that only locals should get the opportunity, we can't become a country of unity in diversity. The local people will have to show the required skills for a job and should get a job for their skills, quality and hard work and not because they belong to the locality. If this closed-minded attitude will not change, it would be very difficult for India to make a progress on the global scene. We all are Indians, and everyone should always realize that all Indians are equal come what may, and there should not be a biased attitude towards a specific locality or community.

No comments:

Post a Comment