Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Were the autorickshaw operators right in stopping their services, Pune?

Were the autorickshaw operators right in stopping their services?
The answer is absolutely not. Look at their demands. They dont want to wear a uniform and they want to rehike the basic fare by Re 1. Well according to me wearing a uniform only shows the solidarity of a union. Whats wrong in wearing a uniform when all the other cities and states rickshaw drivers wear it. Why is Pune rickshawala different? Talking about difference, well as a passenger I have seen a real difference in the rate they charge which is so very different. A person daily travelling by a richshaw in pune has to be millionaire. I was in Mumbai for 3 years and I did not need my own two wheeler there. The public transport including the auto rickshaw was so much affordable that I never needed one. But, when I landed in pune, I purchased a bike within 7 days. Reason, I had to spent more than a 1000 Rs in auto rickshaw alone. I would not say all the auto rickshaw drivers are so bad and they charge so heaviliy, but there are 80% auto rickshaw drivers who do charge quite heavily. And over and above this, these people go on strike at will, i.e. without any good reason. Coming back to the second demand to hike Re 1 as base fare, well I would say how does that matter to a auto rickshaw driver, as he is charging way too high anyway? Whats the difference this Re 1 will make to the auto rickshaw driver or to a passenger. I certainly feel that there should be some proper law made against this auto rickshaw unions so that they cant go on strike suddenly. There are a lot of patients, old people and others who still need an auto rickshaw as a public mode of transport. It is not at all justified for the auto rickshaw operators to suddenly go on a strike like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment